Crunchies are a South African treat that we grew up with. Everyone had a their own closely guarded recipe, usually on a recipe card, that had been shared through the generations. The recipe was also printed on the Jungle Oats box. To make these gluten free you will need to make sure you use gluten free oats. Oats themselves don’t contain gluten but are often grown alongside other grains and milled in the same mills resulting in cross contamination. Gluten free oats are grown and milled under stricter conditions ensuring that they remain gluten free.
Crunchies keep well in an air tight tin and are ideal for a lunch box or teatime treat.
- Baking parchment
- Baking tray
- 260 grams Gluten free oats
- 95 grams Desiccated coconut
- 175 grams Gluten free all purpose flour
- 220 grams Sugar I prefer cane sugar
- 15 ml Golden syrup
- 200 grams butter
- 5 ml Bicarbonate of soda
- 1 pinch Salt
- Heat the oven to 190 degrees C
- Melt the butter and syrup together over a low heat
- Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix
- Pour the melted butter into the dry ingredients and stir
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment
- Spoon the mixture into the baking tray and level
- Bake for twenty to twenty five minutes until the top is golden
- Remove from the oven and slice while hot. It will feel quite crumbly at this stage but as soon as it cools it will firm up.
- Leave to cool in the baking tray
- Once cool enjoy with a cuppa