John is a huge fan of sausages, me, not so much. While we have been in lock down I have been experimenting with making sausages. Boerewors for my South African roots and some pork and apple sausages. I have about six kilograms of sausages taking up space in the freezer now! This dish is a sunny, summer sausage casserole with a rich tomato taste. Perfect for a quick midweek meal. I used pork and herb chipolatas for this one, but any sausages will work.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 12 sausages 1 used pork and herb chipolata
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tins cannellini beans
- 20 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 handful chopped basil, stalks and all you can use parsley or coriander if you prefer
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sweet, smoked paprika
- Brown the sausages in a large pan. I used my wok. Once browned remove and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook until transparent.
- Add the garlic and paprika and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and 1/2 tin of water.
- Return the sausages to the pan. Simmer for 15 minutes until the sauce is thickened.
- Drain the cannellini beans and stir through. Cook for 5 more minutes until the beans are heated through.
- Stir through the cherry tomatoes and basil and serve immediately.