Fall from the bone, melt in your mouth pork ribs are a favourite with John and the barbarian boys. Even the one that is now vegetarian looked wistful when I made these and commented that they had been a favourite!
These are easy enough to do, even for a busy weekday, as they can be left in the slow cooker and only take minutes to finish off. The recipe doubles easily for feeding a crowd, you just need lots of napkins!
- Slow cooker or large oven proof casserole dish
- 4 racks pork ribs
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 litre water To make the stock, you may need more to cover the ribs entirely
- 1 pork stock cube I use Knorr
- 2 tablespoons black strap molasses you can also use treacle
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon Jack Daniels If you don't want to use alcohol substitute apple juice
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Pop the onion, pork ribs and stock into your slow cooker or casserole dish.
- Cook for 6 hours on medium in the slow cooker or 3 hours at 140C in the oven.
- Very, very carefully remove the ribs from the liquid and place on a baking tray.
- Mix the ingredients for the barbecue sauce together.
- Brush the ribs with the barbecue sauce.
- Roast in the oven at 180C for 10 to 15 minutes until sticky and browned.
- Serve with your favourite sides and lots of napkins.
- 1/2 cabbage red or green
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion brown or red
- 2 tablespoons good quality mayonnaise You can substitute two tablespoons of plain yoghurt if you prefer.
- Remove the outer leaves and hard stalk from your cabbage, slice finely or grate.
- Peel and grate your carrots
- Peel and grate your onion
- Combine all your ingredients in a bowl and stir in the mayonnaise.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve with your favourite barbecue dish. Coleslaw is also good in a ham sandwich.