John doesn’t much like fish, not even a fish finger sandwich! He will however eat fish cakes without protest.
I wanted to create some slightly different fish cakes, so I swapped potato for sweet potato and added chilli and coriander.
Smoked mackerel fish cakes
Healthy easy recipe using sweet potato
- 400g Sweet potato Peeled, and diced. This is approximately two big ones.
- 1 packet smoked mackerel Approx 330g
- 1 red chilli
- 1/2 cup coriander
- 1 tablespoon gluten free flour
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- Preheat the oven to 190C
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cube them. Boil them until just tender. Drain, mash and set aside to cool slightly.
- Remove the skin from the mackerel and flake the fish into the sweet potato.
- Add the zest and the juice from half the lemon. Save the other half to squeeze over the fishcakes just before serving.
- Stir through the flour
- Roughly chop the coriander and add
- Finely chop the chilli and add
- Mix well and shape into fish cakes. I made 10
- Place on a non stick baking tray, or use some baking parchment, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden.
- Squeeze over the remaining 1/2 of the lemon and serve immediately.
I like to serve this with some sweet chilli dipping sauce and a salad. Serve any leftovers for lunch the next day.