There is nothing better after a busy day than a slow cooked meal. I use my slow cooker all year round. In winter because it is comforting to come home to a warm, rich meal, and in summer because who wants to stand over a hot stove when the sun is shining.
This is an easy recipe for a pork shoulder, butternut and sweet potato casserole. Perfect for an autumn evening.
Slow cooker pork casserole
- Slow Cooker
- 2 tablespoons of gluten free flour 1/2 a teaspoon of chilli flakes, salt and pepper in a bowl. I used Dove’s Farm all purpose flour. Add in 900g of pork shoulder, cubed and mix well.
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 900 g pork shoulder
- 1 onion diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 500 grams butternut and sweet potato cubed
- 1 carrot halved lengthwise and sliced
- 300 ml pork stock
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Combine f gluten free flour, chilli flakes, salt and pepper in a bowl. Add in the pork shoulder and mix well. Add in one chopped clove of garlic and cook for a moment more. Add the onion to the pork. Add in one chopped carrot and 300ml of pork stock. Cook on low for 7 hours.
- In a large pan heat two tablespoons of vegetable oil. Fry the pork until brown, scoop from the pan and pop into the slow cooker.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook until just transparent.
- Add in the garlic and cook for a moment more.
- Add the onion to the pork.
- Add sweet potato and butternut.
- Add in the carrot and pork stock.
- Cook on low for 7 hours
- Serve with rice and scatter a little chopped coriander over the top.