I love breakfast in bed on a Sunday morning, despite the fact that I get up first to prepare it. The indulgence of something delicious while perusing the news, or a new book, with no rush involved is the perfect start to the day.
This breakfast chutney is easy to throw together and is perfect for summertime when you have a glut of tomatoes or when you have a few that are slightly overripe in the bottom of your fridge. Served with bacon sandwiches or breakfast sausages it adds a whole new level of taste.
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes about 500g
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy based frying pan, add the onions and saute until transparent.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until they burst
- Add the sugar and cook, stirring until the sugar melts and the tomatoes and onions are coated and sticky.
- Add the vinegar and stir well.
- Cook for a further five minutes, stirring occasionally until the chutney has thickened.