Venison is a delight to cook with but not always readily available so when I saw some on offer this week I wasted no time in adding it to my basket. I chose to make a chilli with it, cooked slowly in the oven, it was melt in the mouth delicious.
- 500 g diced venison
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red chill,i finely chopped
- 2 carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 250 ml red wine
- 250 ml beef stock
- 50 g of dark chocolate I used 100% cocoa but anything above 70% will do.
- In a heavy based casserole dish heat the oil and cook the onions for around 8 minutes over a medium heat.
- Add the garlic cloves and chilli and cook for a minute more.
- Add the carrots and cook until just starting to soften.
- Add the coriander, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne pepper, stir well and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the venison and brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, wine and stock.
- Turn up the heat and bring to a simmer while stirring.
- Pop into the oven at 140C for 2/12 to 3 hours.
- Remove from the oven, stir in the chocolate and serve immediately with rice if you like.