Chickpeas, or garbanzo beans are tasty little legumes high in fibre and protein. Cheap and versatile they are an ideal ingredient to keep in your cupboard. They make a tasty vegetarian curry that you can have on the table in half an hour.
- 1 large onion
- 1 red chilli
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger
- 1 tablespoon of butter or vegetable oil
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tins chickpeas
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon amchoor mango powder. This isn't essential.
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander
- Rice for serving.
- Roughly chop your onion, garlic, chilli and ginger.
- Using a food processor, blend to form a paste.
- Heat your butter or vegetable oil and add the paste. Cook over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the spices and cook for one minute more until fragrant.
- Stir in the tin of tomatoes and half a tin of water.
- Simmer for 5 minutes until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Drain the chickpeas and add to the sauce.
- Cook for ten minutes more.
- Stir in the coriander and serve immediately with rice.